Employee Spotlight – Rupert Christie
IQ Culture | News and Events
by: IQ Admin
- What motivates you every day? I enjoy the fact that projects I am working on will be used in the real world. Other things that motivate me include solving problems and my contributions being appreciated.
- Briefly describe what you do at IQ. I am a Software Engineer Intern at IQ. I’m currently part of a team working on a medical waste disposal device that will verify and authenticate the correct disposal of controlled substances in a hospital and pharmacy setting. This project is currently in the early stages and I am excited to see how it progresses.
- What does your workspace look like? Honestly, I have a very minimalist workspace. In the office I have the bare minimum at my desk: screens, keyboard, mouse, dock, laptop and nothing else. At home I have a similar setup but my dog does like to come and sit beside me while I work.
- What do you like to do outside of work? I am very into sports. I love watching my hometown rugby teams, Leinster and Ireland, as well as baseball, football and hockey. I also umpire field hockey, back in Ireland I would be umpiring at least 2 matches every week. Now that the field hockey season is starting to begin here I am starting to get involved and umpire here.
- What advice do you have for others in your profession? As I only have a few months experience as a software engineer my advice would be to people wanting to change their career path and become a software engineer. Don’t be afraid to learn in your own time or return to college part time. I was working in an IT related job for 5 years but it was not the direction I wanted to go. I returned part time to college in Ireland then moved halfway across the world for a fresh start and new experiences. Yes it was stressful and scary but if it is something you really want to do and are motivated, you can do it!
- What do you love about IQ Inc? IQ has been very welcoming and from the first day I felt as if they valued every employee, quirks and all! I have learnt so much in my short time here so far. Everyone is very helpful and willing to help you to learn. The flexibility both in terms of hours and work location is a big plus.